About two weeks ago, I made this incredibly easy and extremely tasty butterscotch sauce. I can't stop dipping my spoon into the pot and licking it off! It's smooth, sweet, rich and so, so, so good.
So far I've tried it on chocolate mousse and chocolate tarts - and it's super addictive and yummy. I still have some in the refrigerator and I think I'm going to grab some vanilla ice cream on my way home soon just to eat it together with the sauce! Yum!
5 ingredients and 5 minutes on the stove. How ridiculously easy can this get?
And cream (and vanilla extract and salt).
Don't worry! I made this sauce before the expiry date... I'm just late in posting this recipe :p
Melt the butter and whisk in the sugar
Pour in the cream - not as scary as I thought it would be!
Let it cook for a while, then season with vanilla extract and salt.
And then we let it cool and thicken - simple as that!
Spoon them on top of mousses / ice creams / tarts...
... And I just can't stop at one spoonful!
Easy Butterscotch Sauce
- 30 grams unsalted butter
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 95 ml double cream / thickened cream
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add in the brown sugar once the butter has melted and stir / whisk until all the sugar is wet.
- Let the butter-sugar mixture cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. The mixture will become more liquid and less grainy.
- Lower the heat to low and whisk in the cream. When the cream has been incorporated, turn the heat back up to medium and let the mixture cook for another 2 minutes, whisking frequently.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Taste the butterscotch sauce (be careful it's hot!) and whisk in the salt, a little bit at a time, tasting after each addition until you like how it taste.
- Serve it warm or at room temperature.
- To keep: let the sauce cool to room temperature. Transfer the sauce to a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Store it in a refrigerator for up to 1 month. Reheat in a microwave or in a saucepan.