I baked these tarts a couple of months back for Bake Along, but didn’t manage to blog it on time. Finally managed to blog about these little treats!
I remembered my mom nagged at me for purchasing a punnet of plums just for this recipe… but I just can’t resist not making them after seeing them on Zoe’s website! They look so adorable and so yummy!
I’m quite surprised the tarts don’t have a proper tart base, instead, they have a more biscuit/cookie-like base. The plums are already fairly sweet on their own, so after baking, they caramelised with the muscovado sugar into a sweet treat. Lucky I reduced the sugar in the tart base a little, so the overall sweetness is just right for me.
This recipe is not for weight-watcher as it consists quite a lot of butter, but it’s the butter that made these tartlets rich and delicious, so I won’t recommend cutting the fats too much. Well, we should always indulge once in a while right?
(My photos weren’t as good this time round as I was itching to devour the tart… I even forgot to take the cross-section of the tart!)
Here’s how to make them!
|1) Combine flour, baking power, cinnamon and salt together in a small bowl.||2) Place some room temperature butter in a mixing bowl.|
|3) Cream the butter until pale in colour then add in the sugar.||4) And some vanilla extract.|
|5) And some egg.||6) Cream until light and fluffy and fold in the flour mixture in 2 batches.|
|7) The dough will be a little stiff.||8) Divide the mixture among 6 muffin tins.|
|9) Fan the peach slices on top.||10) Sprinkle with sugar an bake away!|
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 115 grams unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons muscovado sugar
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Lightly butter a muffin tin.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter for about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add in beaten egg, sugar and vanilla and beat on medium-high speed until mixture is pale and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes, scraping the sides occasionally. With the mixture running on low speed, gradually add in all the flour mixture, mixing until just combined (don't overmix!) Use a spatula and scrape the bottom of the bowl, ensuring all the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Divide the dough evenly among the muffin tins. I ended up making 8 tartlets, so adjust according how high you want your tartlet to be. Arrange the plum slices on top of the tart, gently pressing the slices into the dough. Sprinkle the top with muscovado sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top has caramelized to a golden brown and the tartlets look set. They are yummy when warm, at room temperature or chilled!