I’m here to share a quick and easy recipe today! I cook a lot of noodles dish for lunch (for myself) these days as it’s – as mentioned – quick, easy and satisfying. This noodles dish with cherry tomatoes, egg and spring onion is one example as I don’t have to de-frost anything (no meat involved) and it’s so easy to whip up in 15 minutes!
What’s amazing about this dish is that the juice from the tomatoes combined with the noodles’ cooking water to create a sauce that is thick enough to coat the noodles – and all these happened without the use of any ketchup or tomato paste!
|1) Cook your noodles! Then heat oil and scramble one egg. Remove and set aside.||2) Add in spring onion.|
|3) Followed by chopped cherry tomatoes.||4) Splash in a little cooking water (from the noodles) and squash the cherry tomatoes.|
|5) Add in noodles.||6) Toss to coat in the sauce and add in the egg.|
Easy Chinese Noodles with Cherry Tomatoes, Egg and Spring Onion (小番茄鸡蛋面)
- Bring a pot of water to boil and season well with salt. Add in the noodles and stir frequently to prevent them from sticking. When the noodles are al dente, reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water and drain the noodles. Rinse the noodles under cold water and drain well.
- Heat 1/2 of the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add in the egg and scramble it. Remove the egg into a bowl when it's cooked.
- Heat remaining oil in the same frying pan over medium heat. Add in most of the spring onion (reserving the rest for garnish) and stir-fry for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add in the cherry tomatoes splash in a bit of reserved cooking water. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook, squashing the cherry tomatoes and adding more cooking water until the tomatoes are soft. Add in the noodles and toss to coat. Stir in the egg. Add in more cooking water if needed (you may not need all the water). Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Transfer the noodles into a serving bowl, garnish with remaining spring onion and serve.
- If your noodle water is salty enough, you will not need to add anymore salt to the sauce.
- Instead of cooking the noodles first then the sauce, you can cook them at the same time. Start cooking the egg once you add the dried noodles into the pot of water.