I was craving a tea-time treat 2 days back and I ended up baking this incredibly easy, simple, one-bowl and no-mixer yogurt cake flavoured with a little lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. They go sooo well with the Earl Grey tea I was having that I went for a second slice, with an additional scoop of ice cream on top (no photos of that as I was busy pigging away haha).
Yogurt – I used plain and full-fat Greek yogurt for this recipe. They can be easily substituted with any kind of yogurt you like – flavoured, plain, non-Greek… in a pinch, sour cream can also be used also.
Oil – I used a mix of extra-virgin olive oil and canola oil as I ran out of extra-virgin olive oil. You can use hazelnut oil, almond oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil and in a pinch, even melted butter.
Sugar – I used only caster sugar this time round, but I may substitute some with brown or golden sugar the next time for a change.
Add-Ons – I used vanilla paste (love seeing the specks of vanilla in the cake), lemon zest and lemon juice to give the cake a refreshing flavour. You can use orange or lime zest / juice instead and I’m thinking of experimenting with a chocolate version soon.
The cake is so easy to make (took me only about 5 minutes to put them together and send the batter into the oven) and though it takes a pretty long time to bake in the oven, the texture is still soft and tender. It has a pretty tight crumb so it doesn’t crumble easily when cut. It’s denser than a regular sponge / chiffon cake but much lighter than a butter cake. I love how it has just the right amount sweetness and I can’t wait to experiment more on this basic recipe – baking them into cupcakes, changing the flavours etc. And really, I don’t think you will need any step-by-step photos, but here are them just in case!
Easy One-Bowl No-Mixer Lemon Yogurt Cake
- 75 grams caster sugar, 1/3 cup
- 125 grams yogurt, 1/2 cup, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 100 grams all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Grease a 5-inch cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment. Set aside.
- Measure sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest directly into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until incorporated.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk in gently until just incorporated. Use a spatula and scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to make sure all the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Scrape the batter into the cake tin and smooth the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. If the top is browning too fast, tent it with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Place the cake tin on a wire rack and let the cake cool completely. Run a spatula along the sides of the cake tin and turn out the cake. Peel off the baking parchment and turn the cake right side up and transfer to a serving dish. Dust with icing sugar and serve.