I've been so busy posting potato recipes that I almost forgotten it's my turn to host The Home Bakers! Thank you for the reminder Joyce!
What is The Home Bakers? We are a group of home bakers who share the same passion in baking and we love collecting cookbooks! At THB, we bake from one cookbook only, until every recipe has been baked. And look where we are! We have only 21 recipes left!
The bake that I have chosen is a simple cake/muffin that contains no butter (olive oil is used) and does not require a mixer to make - perfect for the lazy me!
I substituted the dried cherries for dried cranberries, walnuts for almonds, and usd cereal instead of granola. I think I overmixed the batter a little, because the muffin wasn't as fluffy as I thought. But I love the combination of cinnamon, cereals and cranberries! I made them muffin-sized so that it's easier to grab and go for breakfast (:
Do try out this simple cake if you have some leftover granola / cereal left or about to expire!
|1) Egg and sugar side by side.||2) Whisk in the oil.|
|3) And the stickily yummy honey.||4) Whisk in the buttermilk.|
|5) Measure the dry ingredients.||6) Sift the in to incorporate more air.|
|7) Stir in the cereal and cranberries.||8) Scoop the batter into muffin tins.|
|9) Mix the streusel ingredients together.||10) Sprinkle the streusel on top and bake away!|
THB #39: Cocoa-Dusted Cranberry Cereal Muffins
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar , I used muscovado
- ½ cup canola oil , I used light olive oil
- ¼ cup honey / molasses
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk / yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour , I replaced with all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups granola / cereal flakes , I increased the amount to 2 cups
- 1 cup dried cherries , I used dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Grease a 9x13-inch baking tin then line the bottom with parchment paper. (Place muffin liners in muffin tins.)
- Combine all the streusel ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, sugar and honey together. Whisk in the buttermilk.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl. Sift in the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Stir in cereal/granola and cranberries.
- Transfer the batter to the tin (scoop ¼ cup of batter into each muffin tin) and sprinkle the streusel ingredients on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes (muffins for 15 to 20 minutes). Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Adapted from Coffee Cakes by Lou Seibert Pappas