While searching for a quick and easy lunch option, I chanced upon this recipe from Min’s Blog. Min blogs in Chinese and she features many simple and delicious meals, and this caught my eye as it uses one of my favourite seasoning – black vinegar. I’m extremely fond of vinegar (evidence here and here), so I decided to give it a go.
The beauty of this dish is that no marinating is required – takes only about 45 minutes for the preparation and cooking! It is also one of the perfect one-pot dishes for a lazy weekend (I love simple and fuss-free meals!)
The chicken is extremely flavourful – salty and slightly sweet with a good vinegar kick. The bite of the vinegar definitely leaves us yearning for more! Only regret is that we didn’t cook up a pot of rice to enjoy it with – the sauce used to cook the chicken is perfect for drizzling over plain, hot and delicious white rice.
Before I go into the step-by-step photos, I would first like to extend my deepest gratitude for all you readers out there! It’s been a joy and pleasure of mine to get to know so many foodies out there and I’m even more honoured to know that my blog have left a pretty deep impression in you guys. I have to admit it’s hard to juggle both work, baking/cooking, blogging, and visiting blogs all at the same time, and I’m so amazed by how you guys do it! (Any tips to share, pretty please?) Thank you so much for thinking of me, and an extra big thank you to Marnelli for giving me this award:
Reader Appreciation Award from Marnelli at Sweets and Brains.
Marnelli is an adorable girl who has a mega huge sweet tooth and we both love milo and to bake desserts! I absolutely love her bright and cheerful smile, and also her weekly F.O.U.R posts – Four Others Under the Rainbow, do check them out 😉 She’s a Filipino and I love all the traditional food that she had featured (here and here) – I really wish I can be next to her right now and learn from her! Thank you Marnelli!
And now I’m passing this award on to 6 more people:
Mich from Piece of Cake
Alice from I Love I Cook I Bake
Anuja from Simple Baking
Emily from Emily’s Cooking Foray
Mi Mi from Mimi Bakery House
Chris from Yummy Bakes
I’ve got to know these 6 lovely foodies recently through The Home Bakers and I’m amazed by each and everyone’s passion and love for food, it’s been a real honour of mine to know all of you! 😉
And on to the step-by-step photos!
(Not pictured) First, make 2 hard-boiled eggs and peel them. Set aside.
Boil a pot of water (just enough to cover the chicken), add in chicken and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse the chicken and set aside. Discard the water.
Chop up some ginger, garlic and chili.
(Remove the chili seeds if you can’t take too much heat.)
Heat some oil and stir-fry the ginger, garlic and chili. Your house will start to smell fabulous!
Add in the chicken and egg.
Add in black vinegar…
…dark soy sauce…
…light soy sauce…
… And water.
Add some rock sugar and simmer for 20 minutes till chicken is cooked.
Serve! Would love to make this again and have it with plain rice!
I’m submitting this to Bake with Bizzy Recipe Box #7!
- 2 large chicken drumsticks
- 2 slices ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ chili
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 100 ml water
- 5 tablespoons black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rock sugar / granulated sugar
- Boil a pot of water, then add in the chicken drumsticks, and boil for 3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and wash to get rid of any dirt and blood. Set aside. Discard the cooking water and dry the pot.
- Chop the ginger, garlic and chili into small pieces. (If you don't like the heat of the chili, remove the seeds before chopping the chili.)
- Heat some oil in the pot and add in the ginger, garlic and chili. Stir-fry until fragrant then add in the chicken drumsticks, hard-boiled egg, water and all the seasonings. Cover the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes till chicken is cooked, turning the chicken occasionally. Serve with rice.
- 鸡腿 2个
- 姜 2片
- 蒜头 2瓣
- 辣椒 ½根
- 水煮蛋 2个
- 水 100ml
- 黑醋 5汤匙
- 黑酱油 2汤匙
- 酱清 2汤匙
- 麻油 2汤匙
- 冰糖／砂糖 1汤匙
- 将鸡腿放入滚水中川烫， 捞起、洗净血水备用。 姜、 蒜头、辣椒切丁备用。 （若不喜欢辣可将辣椒去籽。）