I've seen many recipes which uses Coca-cola for baking and cooking - and this is the first time I tried it out as I wanted to try a recipe from Masterchef to participate in Cook Like A Star, hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Anuja from Simple Baking and Baby Sumo from Eat your heart out.
It's a really easy recipe - I just need to mix everything together and bake away, perfect dish for lazy days (though I must admit the baking time is a little ridiculous - 3 ½ hours! But it's essential to get the sauce to reduce into a sticky glaze.)
In terms of taste-wise, this is a fairly sweet dish (even though I've already added lemon juice and soy sauce to counter the sweetness in the Coca-Cola), which is a bit odd for my palette as my main dish are usually salty, peppery or spicy. However, I do love the glaze as it's really sticky but I wonder whether I can replicate the sticky glaze without the whole dish being so sweet. Any suggestions? 🙂
Execution wise, I think it'll be more economical if you're baking a huge batch for a large group. Baking 6 chicken wings for 3 ½ hours is a little... not worth it in my opinion. Nevertheless I think that if you're making it for a huge crowd, these sweet and sticky little chicken wings will be perfect as snacks / appetisers and you can make them far, far ahead of time!
P.S. I wasn't satisfied with the Korean potato pancakes I made to serve with the chicken wings, so I'm not sharing it now! Will share the recipe when I've perfected it! 🙂
On to the step-by-step photos!
Measure some brown sugar, minced garlic, minced onion and lemon zest in a bowl.
The brown sugar helps to caramelize the chicken during baking.
Squeeze in some lemon juice for some acidity and to contrasts the sweetness of the dish.
Add in some soy sauce to, again, offset the sweetness.
In goes the Coca-Cola! Mix them well together.
Rinse and pat dry the chicken wings.
Chop them at the joint. The wingtip can be frozen and kept for making stock.
Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish.
Tip in the Cola sauce.
Stir to coat them together and bake away!
Caramelized skins and sticky sauce - after 3 ½ hours of baking!
Sweet and sticky!
I'm submitting this to Cook Like A Star hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Anuja from Simple Baking and Baby Sumo from Eat your heart out (click on the froggie below to see all other foodies take on Masterchef's recipes!). I'm also going to link it up to Bizzy Bake's Recipe Box #16.
- 165ml (½ can) Coca-Cola
- 50 grams (¼ cup packed) brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- ½ large onion, peeled and grated
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ kg chicken wings, separated at joints (discard the wing tips or save them for making stock) (about 6 chicken wings)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Combine the Coca-Cola, brown sugar, garlic, onion and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- Clean and rinse the chicken wings. Pat them dry slightly with paper towels and place them in an oven-proof dish. Pour the Cola mixture over and mix to coat.
- Bake the chicken wings for 3 to 3½ hours until the liquid has reduced into a sticky and sweet concoction. Serve immediately with some greens and potatoes.