A few weeks back, my friends were coming over to my house and while I brought back quite a few packets of new tea leaves from my trip back to Singapore to share with them, drinking hot tea in this sweltering heat now is simply unfathomable. Iced lemon tea sounds refreshingly good, but I didn’t have mint/lemon on hand and didn’t have the time to steep the teabags. So if it’s not tea, it’s gonna be coffee! As one of my friends prefers to drink mocha, I tried out a mocha recipe I found online and it was really good – so good that I made it again last weekend
for the blog, oops I mean, for X and I.
The iced mocha is incredibly easy to make – just espresso, sugar, cocoa powder, ice and milk – that’s it! I love the simplicity of this recipe because there’s no melting of chocolate involved. I prepared my espresso using my Moka pot that I bought during my trip to Naples last year but you can use your espresso machine or instant espresso. For normal brewed coffee or instant coffee powder, make 200ml of extra strong coffee by increasing the amount of coffee powder you’ll normally use by 50% or 100%.
Once you have dissolved the sugar and cocoa powder in the espresso, this mocha mix can be chilled in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the iced mocha. Transfer the mocha mix into a large jug, top with ice and milk and you have a jug of nice and ice cold iced mocha! For a more luxurious treat and presentation, you can top the iced mocha with whipped cream, sprinkle with chocolate shavings, drizzle with chocolate sauce or even a scoop of ice cream!
And here is the step-by-step photos – but I don’t really think you will need it! Keep cool everyone! (And for my friends in the southern hemisphere, stay warm!)
|1) Whisk sugar and cocoa powder together in a measuring cup.||2) Pour in hot espresso and whisk to dissolve sugar and cocoa powder.|
|3) Divide the mocha mix between two cups and top with ice until 3/4-full (or almost full).||4) Top up with milk and serve immediately!|
- 2 espresso shots
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Ice cubes
- Whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings, ice cream (optional)
- Prepare your espresso. Whisk cocoa powder and sugar in a measuring cup.
- Pour the hot espresso into the measuring cup and whisk to dissolve the cocoa powder and sugar. You will get about 200ml of mocha mixture. If you are making in advance, chill the mocha mixture in the refrigerator until serving time.
- Divide the mocha mixture between 2 300ml cups.
- Add in ice cubes until the cups are ¾ full then pour in the milk. Top with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings and/or ice cream if desired and serve immediately.
- If replacing espresso with brewed coffee or instant coffee powder, make 200ml of extra strong coffee by increasing the amount of coffee powder you'll normally use by 50% or 100%.
- If the mocha is not sweet enough, make a simple syrup to sweeten the drink: dissolve 2 parts sugar to 1 part hot water (e.g. ½ cup sugar to ¼ cup water). Let cool and serve on the side.
- Recipe from Home Coffee Recipes